Always Be Alert For No Relaxing Around These Hair Products

Suggesting a romantic rendezvous on a moonlit night is the name of these products coming as soft and beautiful, dark and lovely. Whereas they can be dangerous when ingested. Get all the needed precautions and care in case of swallowing alkaline substances in relaxers. 

Always Be Alert For No Relaxing Around These Hair Products

What Can Hair Relaxers Do When Swallowed? 

The rendezvous can take place in an emergency room and there’s nothing romantic about it whereas for children who get into these hair relaxers. Containing what are known as alkaline caustics are these products and many other hair relaxers like them. Similar to what might happen when a person comes into contact with a strong acid are these substances that can cause a chemical burn.

They are completely different in a chemical sense. Lying on opposite sides of the 14-point pH scale are acids and alkaline. The stronger the acid as the lower you go on the scale. The stronger the alkaline the higher you go. Having a pH close to what’s normally found in the body are substances that land in the middle.

As a recent report in the journal Paediatrics note

Rosanne Soloway of the American Association of Poison Control Centers in Washington says because of the way they are promoted, the most important thing is he is highlighting that these are extremely caustic chemicals. 

Harold Simmons, an R&D chemist at Bronner Brothers in Atlanta, which is a leading manufacturer of hair relaxers, says that thereby they can certainly be. You really don’t want kids in the same room as all it takes is just a second as with any chemical you use. 

The Chemical Composition Of Relaxers 

Between lye and no-lye relaxers, Simmons says there is just a small difference in pH according to Simmons. He says the latter comes with ingredients such as calcium hydroxide which should then be activated by adding a solution. Whereas they will, burns from these products might take a little more time to develop. Containing sodium hydroxide and acting more quickly are lye relaxers on the other hand. 

Here it is wise to ask as to how bad can these alkaline burns get? Still remembering one from nearly 30 years ago was Gary Wasserman, MD, chief of the medical toxicology section at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo. Wasserman thereby reports it involved a 2-year-old when tasted a caustic cleaning agent suffered severe burns all through his oesophagus and stomach. The child underwent about a hundred medical procedures to deal with the extensive scarring over the years.

Using a portion of his bowel, the doctors eventually created a new oesophagus and stomach pouch as the injuries were so bad.

Wasserman now says he is in good shape today. 

Including bleach, oven cleaners, and toilet cleaners are other products that cause alkaline burns. 

Small areas of scar tissue can be surgically removed as scarring is the ultimate outcome of an alkaline burn. Still somewhat hit-or-miss is the drug treatment for these burns. Wasserman then says whether you give them steroids or antibiotics, drug therapy is a little bit controversial. They can subject the patient to infection as steroids interfere with scar formation. 

Wasserman then explains there is one main thing to remember as for immediate home treatment of a child who has swallowed an alkaline solution which is that give a drink of milk or water if they are not choking and if they are, don’t. Any additional fluid they can’t swallow would be taken into the lungs which is the main worry. A dangerous and even fatal form of pneumonia could be set up here. 

Before doing anything, parents should contact the local poison control centre just as with any home poisoning. 

How Can Children Be Treated? 

It may seem to parents as if the doctors aren’t really doing much to a child who has swallowed these substances upon arriving at the emergency room. That which may require him to be put on a ventilator or other such measures, their first goal is to make sure the child is not in an immediately life-threatening situation. Doctors will try to perform a procedure called endoscopy in which a specialist puts a camera down the child’s oesophagus to see the extent of the burns after that.

Depending on what the specialist sees there, is further treatment. 

Surprised to hear that relaxers have severely burned children was one hairstylist. Saying she has gone up to 20 minutes with a relaxer on her hands and suffered no ill effects was Nicole Cumberlander, owner of Noire Et Blanc Salon and Spa in Cleveland. 

Still thinking do-it-yourself relaxing is a bad idea was she adding that she doesn’t even relax her own hair even though she is a licensed stylist. In no way can you do it yourself getting good results. Dealing with the issue of children takes it a step further. 

To Conclude Vital Information:

As they can cause chemical burns if eaten or smeared on the skin, parents should take precautions to keep hair relaxers and other potentially dangerous household products away from children. 

Immediately you have to call the poison control centre and then give him milk or water to drink in case he is not choking if a child does accidentally swallow a hair relaxer. 

Small areas of scar tissue can be surgically removed in case scarring can be the ultimate outcome of these chemical burns.

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0